The collapse of Hanjin Shipping Co. in late August led to a significant decline in cargo volume at the Port of Long Beach in the month of September, port officials reported Wednesday.
Container volumes declined 16.6 percent year-over-year in September, according to statistics from the Port of Long Beach. Longshore workers moved 546,805 20-foot equivalent units, known as TEUs, last month. This figure included:
• 282,945 TEUs in imports, down 15 percent from September 2015 (which marked the end of the port’s best quarter ever reported).
• Exports dropped 4.2 percent, with 120,383 TEUs moved.
• The number of empty containers being shipped fell 27.2 percent, with 143,476 TEUs moved.
Port officials said the number of containers handled during September was impacted not only by reduced calls by Hanjin-operated ships, but also by the absence of Hanjin containers on vessels operated by fellow shipping alliance members. Hanjin Shipping containers account for approximately 12.3 percent of the port’s total containerized volume, officials said.
Source: Press Telegram